Re: calendar

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]

>From: P.Davies@sheffield.ac.uk (philip davies)
>Subject: Re: calendar

>Are Orion subscribers (a) aware and (b) in agreement that a calendar of 12
>months of 30 days is Zoroastrian? This is a real question, not a rhetorical
>one. I have come across the claim, but have not been able to verify it to
>my own satisfaction yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Dear Philip,

a) It CAN be zoroastrian, but there is no unequivocal decision possible.

b) See the different calendars presented by e.g. Hartner in Cambridge
History of Iran or the section "Calendars derived from the Zoroastrian
calendar" by Panaino in IncIr 4.663-666.

I have argued into your direction in an overview, which I gave in my
treatment of 4Q252 - but only in german:
	Glessmer, U.: Antike und moderne Auslegungen des Sintflutberichtes Gen 6-8
und der Qumran-Pescher 4Q252.- in: Mitteilungen und Beitraege Theologische
Fakultaet Leipzig : Forschungsstelle Judentum 6 (1993) 3-79 (especially p.
25-28)

Also in german is the discussion of the 360-day-calendar(/s) and there the
section "Altpersischer Kalender?":
        Albani, M.: Astronomie und Schöpfungsglaube : Untersuchungen zum
astronomischen Henochbuch. WMANT 68.- 1994

I think, in the future there should be a conference dedicated only to the
question of calendars. But it must be inter-disciplinary one, because
uni-linear explanations of the phenomena of mixture (at least from the
Persian time on), require good knowledge from all the cultures present in
the ANE, where jewish people lived in different contexts.

Greetings from Hamburg
UWE
PD Dr. Uwe Glessmer
Lockkoppel 2