Re: Ebionites & Nazarenes

IYirmiyahu Ben-David writes:

> Russell Gmirkin:
>  >Two very good Ebionite primary source, available in one of the older
>  >collections of writings of the Ante-Nicene Fathers, are the Kerygma
>  >Petrou and the Pseudo-Clementine Recognitions.<
>
>  Are ClemRec's comments about Nazarenes and Ebionites extensive enough to
>  justify buying a copy (volume?; and is English available) or would
>  photocopies of just a few pages be more appropriate?  If the latter, how
and
>  where might I obtain said photocopies?  (I don't have access to a
university
>  library and the somewhat provincial public libraries and bookstores here
>  find it "impossible.")
>
>  Same questions for Panarion and Kerygma Petrou.
>
>  I'll very much appreciate the help.

I think the Panarion by Epiphanius has a great deal of useful information,
not just on Nazarenes and Ebionites, but the whole spectrum of beliefs and
movements 4th century Christian orthodoxy considered heretical.  You might
even be able to locate it in softback.  There are of course other and earlier
sources on heretical groups, a favorite topic with the church fathers.

I have only found the full text of Clementine Recognitions and Kerygma Petrou
in one of those old dusty multi-volume collection of writings of the church
fathers.  I'm pretty certain it was _Nicene & Post-Nicene Fathers_ (New York,
1894).  However, an abridged text of the more interesting portions is found
in New Testament Apocrypha -- edited by Heinneke, I believe -- though I found
significant inconsistencies in paragraph numbering with the full edition.
 That's about the best I can do for you at present.  Good luck!

-- Russell Gmirkin