Frankel and Kohler

that Essenoi and Essaioi have two separate etymologies. They pick one root
with N and one without. The former, I think, was tsade-nun-waw-ayin-yod-mem
(modest, humble). K.Kohler notes this in "Essenes", Jewish Encyclopedia,
Ithink. Frankel, was first in one or two German articles, 19th century.
My papers are at home (2 1/2 hours away, and I'm having car problems); if
it important to you to have more specific bibliography, let me know, and
I'll respond, eventually. Stephen Goranson  (PS, I doubt their suggestion)