Re: "para-biblical literature"

Actually Ian, "parabiblical" already has a (different) meaning in the DSS
context.  It refers to the hebrew texts that are similar to biblical
material, but which have too many differences to be considered bibical.
They were published in one or two recent volumes of DJD.
Paul

>Dear Bob,
>
>Personally, I find the term "biblical" being applied in the dss context
>anachronistic and best defined as "referring to those books that would
>become canonical" in that context. I think the evidence indicates that canon
>was formed post first war. There doesn't seem to be any separation in the
>Qumran corpus and the preservation caves attempted to save both types.
>"para-biblical" has the same sort of connotations to it, ie referring to a
>separation to come. I wonder if it is useful in the Qumran context?
>
>Yours,
>
>Ian Hutchesson

Paul V. M. Flesher
Religious Studies