Re: 4Q318

Dear Hayim,
I agree with you that Mesopotamian culture could have, and did, reach the
Land of Israel before the advent of Hellenism (whatever that may be).
Biblical scholars of a comparative bent have been looking for borrowings
and influences for over a century.  My own opinion is that the
Assyrian-Persian period, which was a time of cultural commensulism in the
near east, would be a good period to for massive flow of
Mesopotamian culture to the west, as western culture flowed eastward.
The channels of transmission were the Assyrian administrative network and
the Aramaic language. BOth of these were taken over by the successor
Bbylonian and Persian empires.

BUT, everything requires evidence, and unless a
document of astronomic content and Mesopotamian background can be
produced from the pre-Hellenistic Land of Israel the connections of which
you speak can only be theoretical.  I share your wishful thinking!

Avigdor Hurowitz