Re: 4Q318

Dear all,
Not only deutero-Isaiah is not enamoured with gentile astral omens
(I am not sure whether astrology was yet known in the ANE) but Nahum also
may have taken a swipe at it. In the last chapter he says about Nineveh
Minzerayik ka'arbeh, tafserayik gov-govai- your minzarim are like
locusts, your tafsarim as grasshoppers.  It has been suggested that
tafsarayik in this verse is an abbreviation of the Akkadian term tupshar
enuma-anu-enlil, i.e. a scribe expert in the series of astronomical omens
enum-anu- enlil.
As for the problematic inclinations towards astrology at qumran, may I
refer to Ibn-Ezra, an astronomer and astrologer. He doesn't seem to have
been bothered, so why should the covenanters?  Even Maimonides regards
stars as more than physical beings. The problem with them is that they
became at a very early date (in the time of ENosh) objects of worship,
diverting mankind from  worship of their boss, the true God.

Avigdor Hurowitz

PS, the late JOnas Greenfield wrote an article on brontologies which
might interest the members. Find reference in his Memorial Festchrift.