successors to ANE list

To: orion@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il
From: cejo@midway.uchicago.edu (Charles E. Jones)
Subject: Successors to the ANE list
Cc: <victor@bgumail.bgu.ac.il>

>Just to help us out on the issue, I was on the ANE list, enjoying it very
>much.  It was shut down several months ago because the conversations had
>gotten way off topic, but there was also one particular "flamer" who was
>quite verbose and quite abusive, and his participation may have been part
>of the cause for the collapse of the list.  As you know from teaching,
>disruptive students should sometimes, for the sake of all the others, be
>removed from the classroom. This is not considered censorship, only
>discipline.
>Avigdor Hurowitz

Wilth apologies to the moderator for the off-topic posting:

We expect to have the  successors to ANE up and running again by the end of
the month.  We will provide a range of options, from very stricly moderated
to very open.  But - even the open list will have a set of clearly stated
rules, and all participants will be expected to abide by them. Those who
don't will be removed from the list.

-Chuck Jones-