Re: Scribes

Dear Keith,
For Mesopotamia try in the Thorkild Jacobsen Volume in Assyriological
Studies. Sjoberg published many years ago in Journal for Cuneiform
Studies a text which he called "in praise of Scribal art.  Nissaba was
the Sumerian scribe goddess and her logographic name decorates the fronts
pieces of the Chicago Assyrian Dictionary.  Nabu was the scribe god in
Babylonia (Marduk's son).   Look at the general Assyriological literature
for discussions of him.  There are articles by Kramer on a text which
describes scribal training in Sumerian  schools.
As for the Bible, Menahem Haran published a series of articles in the
last decade dealing with scribal practices in the production and
transmission of biblical books. His bibliography you canfind in his
Festschrift whic appeared this year on Eisenbrauns'.  Aaron Demsky wrote
a dissertation years ago on literacy in the Bible and the ancient near
east (in Hebrew, Hebrew University).  There is a  book by Nunn (?) on teh
SOTS monograph series about schools in ancient Israel. Lambert has
published in JCS a "list of authors".  H. Gevaryahu has done some work on
colophons published in VT and in Beth Miqra, and he once gave a paper on
it before the world congress of Jewish Studies.
That's all I can remember at the moment. Hope it is useful. Sorry I can't
give you information more directly related to Qumran.
 Avigdor Hurowitz