Re: Re: Nazoreth vs. Nazorean

Tom Simms:
>This fits in perfectly with argument ex scripta but I just received notice
   of a Louvre epigraphphy from the time of Claudius Caesar about
disturbing
   tombs in Nazareth!  Another posting notes the number and kind of tombs
   also.  I am driven to accept both sides of the argument now?  Yours
tells
   me that as Nazareth prospered and more Greek or Latin was used, the
   distinctions over Nazareth, Nazarite and Nazarean became blurred.<

The blurring of Natzrat (Nazareth) and N'tzarim (or Netzarim; = Nazarean)
is understandable since they come from either the same root or two
virtually identical roots with different meanings: nun - tzade - resh.
The latter almost certainly derives from the root meaning offshoot
(especially of an olive tree) and is based on Y'shayahu 11:1.  The former
more probably derives from the other root meaning to guard (as a sentry).
In answer to another question, this is very close in meaning to its
synonym shin - mem - resh which has the connotation of watch(guard) /
keep watch.

But the point I'm trying to make, and which Judith already emphasized, is
that there is NO connection between these words or their derivatives and
nun - *zayin* - resh (the root of Nazarite).  This is the only one of the
terms being discussed which has a legitimate "z" sound.  There is NO
justifiable blurring of this term with the others.

The only understandable blurring is between Natzrat (Nazareth -- should at
least have been transliterated [phonemecized? (8-{)}] to Natzareth),
N'tzarim (Nazarenes; should at least be Natzarenes) and Notzrim
(Christians -- still the Hebrew term for Christians today).  Jerome seems
to have noted this difference with respect to the Biyrkat Ha-Miynim that
was recited by N'tzarim and other Jews against the Notzrim while the Church
thought the stupid Jews were cursing their own and, cleverly, the Jews
thereby avoided persecution for cursing the Notzrim. (Cf. Biyrkat
Ha-Miynim, Notzrim & Jerome, Schueller House).

The suggestion that the Christians may have developed the term Notzrim
from Natzrat has been around a while.  IMO it's valid, pertinent and on
the mark.

Gentile Christians needed to distinguish themselves from the N'tzarim
(shoots; pop. Nazarenes / Nazoraios) who were "blinded by Gxd and under
the Law of sin and death," etc.  I cite this not as polemic but to
demonstrate the antithetical natures of Notzrim to N'tzarim and the
consequent need for the former to adopt a name that was similar, yet
different, upon which a claim to be the original could be asserted.
Distancing themselves from the Torah-observant N'tzarim, the selectively
observant (to outright Torah- rejecting) Christians preferred to think of
themselves as "guardians" (notzrim) of the faith in contrast to the
N'tzarim "shoots," and Natzrat was an obvious candidate.  (A pity:
phonemicization would be helpful in demonstrating the derivation here.)
Moreover, initially (c. 60 - 135 CE) gentile Christians responsible for
the adoption of the name Notzrim in contradistinction to N'tzarim either
missed or ignored the connection to Y'shayahu 11:1 (Notzrim is unrelated
to this passage).

Yirmiyahu Ben-David, Pakiyd 16; Ra'anana, Israel
K'hiylat Ha-N'tzarim
(Global Congregation of Nazarene Jews)

N'tzarim Virtual Community Center:
www.netvision.net.il/~netzarim