Re: Nazareth Tombs

Thomas M.Simms wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Sep 1996 17:07:11 -0600, jpman@accesscomm.net writes:
> >
> >Thomas M.Simms wrote:
> >>
> >>    Re: Nazareth:  There is NO epigraphic evidence before 3rd Century CE!  The
> >>    textual evidences from the manuscripts support the attribution (Jesus the
> >>    Nazorean) I've given.  The King James Redactors were wrong.
> >>
> >>    Now SHOW me any epigraphic evidence for a village called Nazareth circa the
> >>    turn of the Era.  The most one can show is some kind of villa or farm and
> >>    NO written text connected with it.
> >
> >   You are correct on the epigraphic attestation of Nazareth.  The earliest
> >that I can recall is the Caesarean inscription on priestly courses c. 300 CE.
> >The strongest evidence for Nazareth as a settlement during the Roman period are
> >the tombs, most of the kokim type and four of the "rolling stone" type no later
> >then 70 C.E.
>
>     When were these discovered and where are they with respect to the present
>     community?  Were they possibly a family group part of an estate?

	There have been about two dozen tombs found anywhere from 60 yards to
750 yards to the north, west and south of the Church of the Annunciation.  The
placement of the tombs give an idea of the limits of the village.
	EAEHL III, pp 911-922
	Bagatti, B. in Dictionnaire de la Bible, Supplement vi, col. 318-321.
	Palestine Exploration Fund Quarterly, 1923, p. 90
	Quarterly of the Depat. of Antiquities in Palestine 1, 1931, pp 53-55.

Jack Kilmon
Houston, Texas
JPMan@accesscomm.net