Re: Nazoreth vs. Nazorean

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Herb Basser wrote:

> how much epigraphic evidence is there for most cities-- arent we
> talking about arguments from silence-- what does "show me the
> epigraphic evidence mean?"-- what is the epigraphic evidence for
> bethlehem?
>
> hbasser

Herb is quite correct here.  It is rather silly to demand epigraphic
evidence for every site identification in the country.  One should add
that there was at least one Iron Age tomb found in the excavations
at Nazareth and, as I recall, it is mentioned in the city-lists of
Tiglath-Pileser III.

Bill Schniedewind
UCLA