Re: Essene name

>> Sorry to interrupt your reverie, Jack, but I truly don't think
>> "transliterated" is what you mean.
>
>	Gosh, Ian. I haven't been in a reverie since Neil Armstrong walked
>on the moon....Oh..that's a revelry...on second thought, maybe I was.
Perhaps you haven't come out of it!

>> Perhaps "asayya" is a transliteration
>> from some arcane script. How 'bout the less highfalootin' "translated".
>
>	Nope, I meant transliterated.
No, you don't! If you really have an Aramaic or Hebrew source for this one
then Asayya is a transliteration of that source. Jeez, Jack, ya have
something in one alphabet/system of orthography and you render it into
another and you have transliterated it.

>> Oh, and where do I find a reference to "asayya": I couldn't find it in
Josephus.

>	I'll quote John Allegro in "The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Myth"
>1991 Promethues, p12:
>
>	"Although the name `Essene' was known only in its TRANSLITERATED Greek
>forms, Essenoi, or Essaioi, there seemed good reason it represented an Aramaic,
>ie Semitic, word meaning `physician' (asa, plural asayya), and reflected the
>popular idea that these pious people, like Jesus and his followers, exercised
>power over demons, an essential part of folk-medicine"
Allegro is right: you ain't.

>	Aramaic ASAYYA to Greek ESSAIOI. Sounds transliterated to me.
Naaa. Asayya may be a transliteration of the Aramaic into Roman letters and
Essene just might be a transliteration first from Aramaic into Greek then
into Roman letters, but Essaioi ain't a transliteration of Asayya.

>	In short, I agree with Dr. Allegro.
Yes, I agree with Allegro, but neither of us agree with you.

>Since the Egyptian counterparts
>of the ASAYYA called themselves a TRANSLATED "Therapeutae" it works for me.
Now, this is a possibility.

IH