Re: Josephus & DSS

>My Hebrew still has a long way to go, but I think (?) that Ya'akov
was called "ha-Tzadiyk," not "ha-Tzeddek"?  The former connotes the filling
of a relationship or b'riyt.  I'm not aware of any implication in the title
peculiar to the Therapeutae.<

Actually, that's 50% correct.  the adjective is indeed ha-tzaddiq (tzedeq is
a noun!) but the bearer of that title is not Jacob but Joseph.

>Back, im yiyrtzeh Ha-Shem, after Yom Kiypur.<

One more point:  idiosyncratic transliterations are very hard to read.  So
here are some helpful hints for the future:

It's inappropriate to represent the vowel "i"  by  "iy" unless a yod appears
after the "i" vowel.  Hence: yirtzeh and Kippur.  (Kippur MUST have a double
"p" to indicate the dagesh hazaq in the peh (in contrast to cases where a "p"
(or another begadkefat letter) has only a dagesh qal -- as at the beginning of
a word like Paqiyd. Also, the "y" here is really unnecessary, unless it is
very important to show that the letter yod appears in the word   (as for
instance when differentiating the two spellings Dawid and Dawiyd that appear
in differently-authored biblical texts).

Also, it's important to differentiate the two letters kaf and qof by using
k and q respectively. Otherwise some readers may be bum-steered as to the
spelling.

Hoping that these general remarks will be of assistance to posters in general.
We don't need to go into heavily scientific hieroglyphics, but a few basic
conventions such as those I just outlined would certainly be helpful to readers
in general!

 Gemar Tov to everybody who needs it (which, I suppose, is everybody!)

Judith Romney Wegner, Connecticut College