Re: Yachad ostracon

On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Greg Doudna wrote:

> > >Esti Eshel presented her find in Manchester on Tuesday. She reads yh_d,
> > >though it could be yod aleph dalet (anyone know a personal name that begins
[...]

Thanks for a beautifully detailed post.

It does seem to me that the reading of "yachad" as described is a bit too
speculative to actually provide a proof for a connection between Qumran
and DSS.

Incidentally, I understand that the ostracon discusses a gift of a slave
- this in contradiction to Philo's description of the Essenes being
against slavery. Of course, such contradictions are not new and not
unexpected.

Best, Asia