Re:

Dear Judith,
Premit me to correct one of your comments.  The first of the seventh
month is not referred to biblically as Yom hazzikkaron "day of
rememberance".  It is called yom teruah and yom zikron teruah but not,
to my recollection, yom hazzikkaron.  The biblical term zikron teruah,
remeberance of the (trumpet) blowing, is, as you  well know, the basis
for the treatment of the Rosh hashanah liturgy for when rosh hashanah
occurs on Sabbath as it did this year.  Every time yom teruah is
mentioned we substitute zikron teruah.  By the way, I learned on erev r
osh hashanah from my colleague and yom tov guest Ted Fram that in the
Geonic period only one day of Rosh Hashanah was observed in certain
places (this is way before there were reform shuls!) and that when rosh
hashanah was on Shabbat teh shofar was not blown at all and instead, the
commandment of blowing shofar was replaced by teh commandment of
remembering the shofar blowing.
As for the pagan antecedents of the cutoms of Rosh Hashanah in particular
and the holidays of tishrey in general, I highly recommend the treatment
of teh akitu festival in Mark Cohen's volume on cultic calendars of the
ancient near east.  He, of course, does not deal with the Israelite or
Jewish practices, but presents the relevant Mesopotamian material in a
way that a biblical scholar will find most helpful.
The major idea of the akitu festival, which occured inmost places twice a
year was the enthronememt of the city god in his tutelary city.  by the
way, there are  also some texts a vailable (unrelated to the akitu) about
tablets of destiny being associated with the seventh month.
Shanah tovah,
Avigdor