Re: Josephus's inkwells

When the exhibition "Scrolls From the Dead Sea: The Ancient Library of
Qumran and Modern Scholarship" was in Washington, I visited it.  I was
surprised to see no sign of ink stains inside the inkwell on display.
(Granted, it was not possible to examine the inside of the inkwell in
detail.) Ink is difficult to remove from even a smooth surface like glass,
and should be nearly impossible to remove from a porous surface like the
inside of a pottery inkwell. Is it possible that the inkwells never held
ink?

Regards,
Jay

***************Quis unquam ab historico iuratores exegit?********************
Jay Treat 			    manager of the Prep Center, SAS Computing
633 Williams Hall                   voice:  (215) 898-9892
The University of Pennsylvania      email:  jtreat@ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Philadelphia PA  19104-6305         www:    http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jtreat/