Re: Ezra-Neh

Just a word on the topic of "tokenism". I think that Judith is right in
raising the issue that the tradition itself has contributed to the
oppression of women. It is important for women who have felt oppressed by
their tradition to be able to point to those elements in the text. It is
not a matter, really, of "judging" ancient authors. Whether the exclusive
elements in the text are deliberate is perhaps not the issue. These texts
have been used at times to justify the unequal treatment of women. The
matter is a complex one, of course, and it is great that we can discuss
these matters on the list. But, I am a woman who has experienced both the
liberatory aspects of my tradition and its exclusiveness. I, too, have
done research into the matter of attitudes toward women in scripture. My
dissertation is investigating sexual practice and bodily purity in
Leviticus. Judith is correct, I think, in perceiving elements within the
text that reflect patriarchal attitudes toward women. Leviticus 18 is a
case in point, a matter which is discussed quite competently in Judith's
article for the Women's Bible Commentary ed. by Carol Newsom and Sharon
Ringe. The text does appear to address male members of the community, and
there is an overriding concern to protect a woman's reproductive purity.
My own point of view is that there is a concern to protect patrilineal
inheritance of the land. My argument can be found in my article for
Robert L. Brawley's book, Biblical Ethics and Homosexuality: Listening to
Scripture. The title of the article, for anyone who is interested, is
"The Holiness Code and Human Sexuality."
   At any rate, the issues are complex, but many women are aware of these
elements in the text, and finding a comfortable, balanced place between
respect for our traditions and respect for ourselves is not always easy.

-- Respectfully,

    Sarah Melcher
    Emory University