4Q285

--------------- Original Message ---------------
From: Chazon Esther <Chazon@HUM.HUJI.AC.IL>
To: orion@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il
Subject: Re: "Pierced Messiah" text
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 22:36:00 PDT

The so-called Pierced Messiah text is 4Q285=Serek Milhamah.
It was published with a good interpretation by M. Abegg in JBL 1994.
It is the messiah who kills the enemy leader- the passage quotes and
interprets Isa 10:34-11:1
Esther chazon
--------------- End Original Message ---------------

Having finally been able to find and examine the photos of Fragment 5 for
myself, I'd now like to begin considering *both* arguments (of the 91.11.10
story in Ma'ariv, not the recent inquiry from Jim West), not just one side.

I'd like to include a brief summary of the best points of both sides of this
issue in the next update of my book (NRM).  Specifically,

1.  Is there agreement on the *written Hebrew* text?  Or is there even
disagreement about that?  E.g., do both sides agree on "tzem(akh)"?  What
are the specific disagreements *concerning the written Hebrew* text if any?

2. What is the _full English interpretation_ by *each* ("his death" vs "he
killed") side?

3. Can someone(s) then briefly summarize the grammatical, syntactical and
other considerations, *pro _and_ con*, between the interpretation of "his
death" and "he killed"?

Yirmiyahu Ben-David, Pakiyd 16
K'hiylat Ha-N'tzarim
(World-wide Congregation of Nazarene / Nazorean Jews)
www.netvision.net.il/~netzarim