Re: DSS on CD-ROM

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]

> >The Mormons have been working on a series of CD Roms for several years.  It
> will have all the scrolls on it in searchable format and with excellent
> photos.  The price also will be reasonable.  This will be a major resource.

The thing we are all interested in are the texts - our data.  When you say
that the Mormons are working on a CD, do you mean that they are encoding
the data, and making it available on CD (along with optional software)?  Or
are they pulling another fast one, like so many other publishers, and en-
coding the data in such a way that it can only be accessed by their propri-
etary software?

You've always seemed pretty well-informed about such things.  What's your
take on their approach?

--

   -Richard L. Goerwitz          ***  ***         r-goerwitz@uchicago.edu