Re: DSS Course

Jim West wrote:
> The many postings which indicate that the conventional wisdom on the scrolls
> is erroneous has placed me between Scylla and Charybdis.
> Next semester I am to teach a course on the scrolls; but now serious doubts
> have been raised about my course outline.  Like the serpent in the garden,
> you have planted the seed of doubt in my soul and I must therefore ask your
> help.
> If the conventional wisdom is wrong- then what can one present to a group of
> eager students as "fact" concerning the DSS?

1. They exist.
2. They are real.
3. They are significant.
4. They are the subject of much debate, not all of it civil.
5. A lot of mystery surrounds them.
6. Here are some prevailing theories about them...
7. They have exposed a lot of inadequacies in archaeological method.
8. They have exposed a lot of adequacies in archaeological method.
9. We may never know for sure what their connection (if any) with the
    community nearby was.
10. For all that, they are worth diving into with both feet.

How's that for a start?

Dave
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/home.html
"Hey, Zeb!  You guess how many possums I've got in this
bag and I'll give you both of 'em!"