Re: DSS Course

Jim,

Is education the presentation of "facts," or does it have something to do
with teaching students to use intelligence and discrimination to sort out
the "facts" and evaluate different approaches to their interpretation.
If you must have "facts" to present from a position of authority, in this
situation they must be the alternative positions that are beginning to
form around the interpretation of the Scrolls (check the ready flow of
books on the Scrolls for these); however, do your students a favor, and
instead of trying to play the authority in a field which is in a very
healthy flux, be their guide and mentor as they come to grips with the
study of the Scrolls.  Note that at least some of the books will give you
a sense of the sides of the discussion (VanderKam's recent publication is
one possibility here).

David Suter
Saint Martin's College