Re: women at Qumran

On Sat, 4 May 1996, David W. Suter wrote:

> A final question:  I seem to remember an archaeologist specializing in
> human remains in a TV report on the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius that buried
> Pompeii commenting that the gender of a human skeleton could not be
> determined with absolute certainty.

Not that I am an expert in anatomy or anything, but I seem to remember a
little discussion about ribs that may be found in a very prominent book
and involving a couple of significant figures in human history. I would
assume that if a skeleton was complete, this difference would be easily
identifiable.

 Does anyone know with what certainty
> we should be taking the reports of male and female remains in the graves
> at Qumran?
>
> David Suter
> Saint Martin's College

I would assume that the decision to call certain remains "female" was not
a snap decision. As it was and still is startling evidence, I would
assume that some care was made before it was made public.

-David Jay Kaufman