Re: women at Qumran

>A footnote to the earlier discussion of iron nails and wooden coffins:
>unless I missed something in the postings, I think that the discussion
>overlooked an important distinction.  My impression is that at least some
>of the postings were talking about wooden coffins with and without iron
>nails, when, from reading de Vaux, Archaeology and the Dead Sea Scrolls,
>it would appear to me that most of the burials were without coffins
>altogether.
>
>David Suter
>Saint Martin's College

A brief glance at the photographs of the graves shows all the bones intered
in dirt (at least so far as I can tell from the xeroxes I am looking at).
The photographs are ##442-477 in _Fouilles de khirbet Qumran et de Ain
Feshkha_ vol. 1, J-B Humbert, 1994, Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Gottingen.  I
haven't had time to study the field notes for the tombs on pp. 346-352.

Paul

Paul V. M. Flesher
Religious Studies
University of Wyoming