Re: FOrm of Khayah

---------------Original Message---------------
Date:         Sun, 14 Apr 96 15:00:22 EDT
From: PWEGNER@BROWNVM.brown.edu
Subject:      Re: Form of Khayah
To: orion@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il

>Thanks for the very informative and helpful information.  I agree with
your
assessment.  Still, confirmation from the scroll itself would help put the
question [of how to point yXyh] to rest.<

Hardly, since the text is presumably unvocalized.  What puts the question
to rest is simply the facts of Hebrew grammar.  In the Qal, X-y-h means
"to live"; in the pi'el, it has a transitive meaning which varies from
context to context:  to revive, to infuse with life, to bring to life, to
resurrec, etc. --always depending on context.  In the sentence you cited,
*****

Please get your facts straight.  I didn't cite the sentence.  I asked for
clarification regarding a sentence someone else cited.

*****
the verb has to be transitive or the sentence is meaningless and
untranslatable -- regardless of which translation best fits its context.
More than this you don't need here!
JRW, Providence
*****

I'm aware of the grammar considerations of the piy'eyl.  I haven't argued
with that.  I wonder if you, perhaps, often argue one side of an argument
against a non-existent opponent?  As for what I need to convince me, where
do you find the khutzpah to *assume* you even understand the question and
tell me what I need?  The person who originally cited the sentence spelled
the word in a way that wasn't clear in conveying the Hebrew.  To jog your
memory, that wasn't me.  Apparently, in your eagerness to nail me you've
attributed the entire quotation to me.  You've nailed me regarding my
erroneous use of Y'hudiyah when I should have used Y'hudah.  So you've
nailed me.

You acknowledged that you were *assuming* what the original writer *meant.*
I suspect you're correct.  I've not been arguing with you.  On the other
hand, I'm not as quick to *assume* as you are.  You also *assume* I'm
questioning the vowelization.  You've assumed wrong.  Maybe there's a
pattern here.  I wanted clarification from someone who *wasn't assuming*
what the original writer *meant* whether the term is related to "to be" or
"to enliven."  I fully expected that the original writer would tell me which
and that would be the end of it.  It was a simple question.  How did it
evolve into a feeding frenzy?

Yirmiyahu Ben-David, Pakiyd 16
K'hiylat Ha-N'tzarim
(World-wide Congregation of Nazarene Jews)

N'tzarim Virtual Community Center in
Ra'anana, Israel at
www.netvision.net.il/~netzarim