Re: question

Judith on Daniel in tradition:

BTW, I seem to remember reading that the name Daniel (at least with ref. to
the "Daniel" of the first half of the book) may be taken from the name of an
ancient  sage  renowned throughout the ancient Near East, about whom other
writings in other languages exist.  Was THAT Daniel presented as a person with
priestly concerns, or merely as a sage in the wisdom literature sense?  BTW,
can you tell me where I can read more about that original Daniel, on whom our
"Daniel" may well have been modelled?

Judith Romney Wegner,
Connecticut Colelge

This is not quite correct. Daniel is mentioned in Hezekiel together
with Noah and Hiob as one of the three sgae persons from ancient
times. Otherwise, he is compared to king Danil (Danilu/Danelu) of the
Ugaritic Aqhat epos, but here he is not a sage but a just king.

NPL
Niels Peter Lemche
Dep. Biblical Studies
University of Copenhagen