Re: question

---------------Original Message---------------
Read your oriental sources, and then Herodotus who reckons Palestine
to be part of Syria.

Niels Peter Lemche
Dep. Biblical Studies
University of Copenhagen
Phone: 45 49 13 81 24
Fax: 45 49 13 81 28
e-mail: npl@teol.ku.dk
----------End of Original Message----------

It's not that I've not run across it exactly.  I was under the impression
that Herodotus was referring to Phoenicians and Philistines in the area
near Syria, in contrast with Israel and Jews whose area had shrunk
considerably by that time.  While Herodotus' description concerning
circumcision might be perceived as implying Jews, I didn't think that Jews
were ever described as Phoenicians and Philistines.  Am I mistaken or is
Herodotus' usage of Suria ey Palaistiney a rather weak basis for regarding
Palestine the name of Israel?

Yirmiyahu Ben-David, Pakiyd 16
K'hiylat Ha-N'tzarim
(World-wide Congregation of Nazarene Jews)

N'tzarim Virtual Community Center in
Ra'anana, Israel at
www.netvision.net.il/~netzarim