Re: question

On 11 April Judith Wegner wrote:

 > Also, why would one expect priests (ancient variety, not modern Catholic type)
> to be purveyors or even supporters of apocalypticism?  The bread-and-butter
> of the Israelite priests depended on the continuance of the status quo in
> eternal cycles of sacrifice-demanding rituals, preferably for ever, but at any
> rate until further notice.  I can't see priests sending out that notice -- i.e.
> warning people that the end is nigher than they think....

It might be worth noting that a new book by Stephen L. Cook,
_Prophecy & Apocalypticism: The Postexilic Social Setting_
(Minneapolis: Fortress, 1995), proposes that certain
proto-apocalyptic literature can be located in priestly, especially
Zadokite, circles.  Cook uses comparative studies on millennial groups
in positions of power to indicate a more complex sociology for
analyzing post-exilic society and locating texts within it. He
attends to distinctions among groups within post-exilic Yehud, and to
the situation of the community as a whole within the larger context.

Admittedly, he is treating an earlier period and set of literature
(Ezekiel 38-39, Zechariah 1-8 and Joel) than has been under
discussion so far.  Nevertheless, his thesis may contribute usefully
to framing the discussion.

All the best,
Richard Weis
Richard D. Weis                                          rweis@rci.rutgers.edu
New Brunswick Theological Seminary        phone: 1-908-246-5591
17 Seminary Place                                       FAX: 1-908-937-8185
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1196 USA