Judaism in the Third

Dear Philip,

I hit a wrong key, and included my own message by mistake. Forgive
me one and all.

Clearly you are correct in general terms. But equally clearly there
are differences in the attitudes to priesthood and temple, for one,
and I imagine (though I am not sure) to calendar on the other, between
the various documents. I may, immodestly, refer to my comparison of
the attitudes to the priesthood in Aramaic Levi and in Ben Sira for
just one way into differentiation. So, I have preferred in general
to talk of "wings" of Judaism rather than sects, but there are
distinctions to be drawn.

I am still intrigued by the question of the "genealogy of
priestly authority" claimed in Aramaic Levi and in Test. Qohat.
We have other information on the priesthood, from Nehemiah and
whatever can be distilled (precious little, but something) from
the Tobiad romance. Shall I go on?

So, David's suggestion is interesting. Would you really put the
Cainite material in Gen as late as this? I have always regarded
Book of Watchers and another, alternative, aetiology of evil.

So much for now,

Michael Stone