Re: "Love" in the DSS

>Some additional evidence in support of H. Manhoff's observations. It may be
>observed that in Targum Neofiti ( and other targums as well perhaps) the
>biblical expressions concerning "love for God" are usually translated e.g.
>"you shall love the Torah of God" etc. In Judaism love seems to be directed
>to Torah, not to God.

This is perhaps interesting. Possibly the targumic traditions, certainly
influenced by the rabbis, wish to oppose any suggestion of a mystical
relationship between the individual Jew and his god? I am not even sure,
however, that the 'love of god' plays a role in Jewish mysticism to the
extent that it does in Christian mysticism. Perhaps we have some experts
out there?

Philip R Davies
Department of Biblical Studies
University of Sheffield