Re: Arabic at Qumran?

On April 8, Jim West wrote:

> Qumran's caves contained Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic texts- as everyone knows.
>  But I am wondering if there were Arabic texts there as well.  From
> photographs it would appear so- but as I do not know Arabic I am unsure if
> these are in fact Arabic texts or some kind of proto-hebrew that I have never
> seen before.
>
> The texts in question are:
> PAM 42.087
> PAM 42.089

The texts in question are indeed in Arabic, as are those in PAM
42.088 and 42.090, but they are from Wadi Murabba(at, not Qumran.  I
don't have DJD II at hand as I write this, but they are certainly
also of an altogether different date than the scrolls in the Qumran
caves.

Richard Weis

Richard D. Weis                                          rweis@rci.rutgers.edu
New Brunswick Theological Seminary        phone: 1-908-246-5591
17 Seminary Place                                       FAX: 1-908-937-8185
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1196 USA