Re: Walls not a fortress make

I am bemused by this question of the Romans cutting up
the scrolls. I do not know where the idea comes from.
To the best of my knowledge, the fragmentary state of the
Cave 4 scrolls comes from natural decomposition aggravated
by the Beduin. In the early period of the discoveries, the
Scrolls were bought by the piece. The Beduin, naturally,
wanted to make more pieces. Then they moved to buying the
scrolls by the square centimeter and the Beduin stopped
the cutting up of Scrolls.

There is, as far as I know, no indication whatsoever of
a great Roman Scrolls cutting -up fest in the year 68.

M. Stone