Re: "Love" in the DSS

Professor Cook,

>in Targum Neofiti ( and other targums as well perhaps) the
>biblical expressions concerning "love for God" are usually translated e.g.
>"you shall love the Torah of God" etc. In Judaism love seems to be directed
>to Torah, not to God.

Thank you for this note.  It is remarkable that the targumim would make this
transition.  Why do you think direct love for God (as commanded in Torah) was
transferred to love for Torah?  Was it because one cannot love God DIRECTLY,
or some related idea?
I am grateful for your help in this matter.

Jim West