Re: "Love" in the DSS

>I have been unable to find ANY reference to the community member's love FOR
>God.
>This fact seems extraordinary in light of the notion that the Covenanters
>were especially devoted to God.

Jim,
With all due respect, I think that you are asking a Christian question.  Jews
generally do not speak of their "love of God" in terms of our devotion to
God.  I can not speak for the Qumran community yet, but in terms of later
rabbinic traditions, God expresses love for Israel by giving the Torah (see
the daily liturgy, Ahava Rabbah and Ahavat Olam, both of which refer to the
giving of the Torah and end with "habocher b'amo Yisrael ba-ahavah"). Jews
express their response to this divine love, by doing the mitzvot.  This is
called tzedek, righteousness (ie fulfilling the human end of the covenant).
 I suspect that the Qumran community called themselves "b'nai Tzadok", a
double pun on the descendents of the Davidic and Solomonic high priest, and
those committed to Tzedek.  I do not expect that you will find reference to
human love for God.
Harry A. Manhoff
(hmanhoff@aol.com)