Re: Walls not a fortress make

Niels,
     I would say that your argument is amateurish and not mine. First,
you misunderstood my point. Yes, the Romans were not nice guys. Yes, they
probably would have destroyed the site. Understanding this, why would
they take the time to hack a bunch of scrolls into mincemeat? On the
point of being amateurish, I cited a fact, that the scrolls were
destroyed, and you argued a possibly unrelated generality, that soldiers
are not nice. My question was how do we know that the Romans destroyed
the site? Yes, the timing makes the most sense. I was wondering why they
destroyed the scrolls, not why they destroyed the site. Is there any
evidence of the Romans destroying texts or not? Is this the only evidence
of possible Roman "book burning" during the history of the empire? If it
is, does that shed some doubt on the conclusion that the Romans destroyed
the texts and the site?

-David.

ps. If at all possible, try citing evidence instead of calling names.