Re: Qumran question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 04:50:30 EST
From: Dr DR de Lacey <del2@cus.cam.ac.uk>
To: Multiple recipients of list <ioudaios-l@lehigh.edu>
Subject: Re: Qumran question

On Sat, 2 Mar 1996, James R. Davila wrote:

> ... I don't find
> Schiffman's label "Sadducees" very helpful, because the Sadducees we know
> of from the NT, etc., clearly had beliefs incompatible with the writers of
> the sectarian scrolls.  But the parallels he draws to Sadducean legal
> traditions are very interesting.

But how do we gain the necessary independent knowledge of Sadducean legal
traditions? I know of no non-circular arguments (though I'd love to be
corrected:-)

Douglas de Lacey

Taylor-Schechter Genizah Research Unit,    Cambridge University Library
del2@cam.ac.uk          http://www.cam.ac.uk/Libraries/Taylor-Schechter