Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 14:15:43 EST
From: Ian Hutchesson <MC2499@mclink.it>
To: Multiple recipients of list <ioudaios-l@lehigh.edu>
Subject: Re: Qumran question

To David Jay Kaufman,
I wasn't actually asking you to post your entire thesis, I was asking for a
little bibliography of *ancient sources* that underlay the first post you
made on the subject. I wouldn't want you to waste much time, just a few
references from a few sources. That's all!

Ian Hutchesson
One particular thesis I read about the Pharisees was that the name was a
pejorative given to those people who were introducing Persian ideas into the
religion -- ideas like angelology, resurrection, the millenium, and
apocalyptic -- all things to be found in Zoroastrianism. This is not a
fashionable idea, but it has its merits. I think it was TW Manson who first
proposed the idea of Pharisees from Persian or Farsee.