Re: The language question

>I don't think that that the LXX proper (the Pentateuch) gives much comfort
to Judith's idea of sabachthani representing the root ZBX 'sacrifice',
since the representation of both Z and X would be irregular, but of course
iii BCE Egypt isn't i CE Palestine.<

Actually, it was as you say just an "idea."  As I have indicated in my other
posting, I really think $ebaqtani is where it's actually at!  Apparently an
Aramaic rendering of the verse from the Psalm (but on the other hand, one
could see it as perhaps a well-known expression that had entered the language
because of the Psalm -- just as we use phrases all the time that come from
Scripture, Shakespeare, etc., but frequently misquote slightly...

Judith