Re: crosspost from Ioudaios

Michael,

My original interest in this particular discussion as it unfolded on
Ioudaios was in nuancing an observation by Judith Wegner that the
Pseudepigrapha reflected the use of Hebrew as a facet or convention of
the production of literature ascribed to ancient sages.  I noted that
the Enochic literature found at Qumran was in Aramaic (it seems to me that this
literature did not originate there but predates the emergence of that
community).  The question that *might* be worth some discussion on Orion
it seems to me is not the continuation of Hebrew but the use of Aramaic
in the Enochic literature:  if the use of Aramaic in a kind of religious
literature is a departure that is not followed in a community that seems
to make use of that literature, what does that tell us about the Enochic
literature or the development of literature in that period?

Best,

David Suter
Saint Martin's College